Thursday 23 February 2012

A Little Knowledge ...

... can be dangerous, but equally a little of the right knowledge can save your life.

I hope you're finding this blog useful as well as entertaining. In each post I attempt to impart enough useful information to provide you with the knowledge required to understand why we do the things we do in a survival situation. This way, we can make informed decisions as well as use time and resources efficiently. I also attempt to provide information at multiple levels to satisfy those with a more scientific bent. I'm happy to receive comments on posts; not only about their content but also style and detail.

Though survival situations themselves present in multiple and largely unpredictable forms where the nature, environment and resources are varied, the general principals I present cover the overarching concepts which should apply in most scenarios. Sometimes, however, posts will be quite specific. I have recently given some Sea Survival training to the RNLI lifeboat team I crew with, so there is post about that on the horizon.

So, what would you like me to write about? I'm open to suggestions. Please add them in to the comments on this post.

Don't forget, knowledge is only one portion of your training. It's important to get hands on experience in order to get the skills you need to put understanding into action, regular practice is also important so skills are not lost. There are many other Survival and Bushcraft courses available, but do watch out, the quality of some can be shocking. Also, don't always assume that those with a military background are better informed, or better teachers. I was told on one that the rule about drinking urine is that you can drink your own. I didn't even know where to start telling him how wrong they were.

Take part in an open discussion about this article on Facebook